2018 State Boys Hockey Brackets, Game Schedule Released
Following the various section tournaments around the state, the Minnesota State High School League has announced the brackets for the A and AA boys hockey tournament. Both Hermantown and Duluth East punched their tickets last week with exciting overtime wins at AMSOIL Arena.
Hermantown mounted a third period comeback on Wednesday night, eventually winning 5-4 over Greenway in double overtime. Duluth East's game against Andover on Thursday night saw the Greyhounds also mounting a third period comeback to force overtime, winning 3-2 after one overtime period.
Class A Bracket
Hermantown claims the #1 seed overall in the tournament, drawing Monticello/Annandale/Maple Lake as their opponent in their first game. This is a rematch of last year's Class A State Championship game, in which the Hawks won 4-3 in double overtime. This game will be at 6 pm on Wednesday night at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. The winner of this game will play in the 1 pm game on Friday against either Thief River Falls or Alexandria.
Here are all of the Class A opening matchups:
- Mahtomedi (#2) vs. Mankato East/Loyola (#7) - Wed. 3/7/18 at 11 am
- Orono (#3) vs. Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato (#6) - Wed. 3/7/18 at 1 pm
- Hermantown (#1) vs. Monticello/Annandale/Maple Lake (#8) - Wed. 3/7/18 at 6 pm
- Alexandria (#4) vs. Thief River Falls (#5) - Wed. 3/7/18 at 8 pm
Class AA Bracket
After missing last year's state tournament, Duluth East returns as a #3 seed this year. The Greyhounds draw St. Michael-Albertville in the opening round, with the puck dropping at 1 pm on Thursday at the Xcel Energy Center. The winner of this game will go on to face either Lakeville North or #2 Edina on Friday at 6 pm.
Here are all of the Class AA opening matchups:
- Edina (#2) vs. Lakeville North (#7) - Thurs. 3/8 at 11 am
- Duluth East (#3) vs. St. Michael-Albertville (#6) - Thurs. 3/8 at 1 pm
- Minnetonka (#1) vs. Hill-Murray (#8) - Thurs. 3/8 at 6 pm
- St. Thomas Academy (#4) vs. Centennial (#5) - Thurs. 3/8 at 8 pm