4 Year Old Accepted Into MENSA. Do You Have a Child Genius?
An amazing story out of England. A 4-year-old girl has been accepted into Mensa with an IQ of 159. Heidi Hankins is from Winchester, Hampshire, and she's just one point below Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.
She taught herself to read and could count to 40 when she was 2 years old. Amazing! But it got me to think, my kids are pretty smart. I mean, they are related to me. We all think our kids are super smart, but have you ever wondered how you can tell if your child is a genius?
According to the National Association for Gifted Children, approximately 5% -- or three million children -- in the U.S. are considered gifted. Think you may have a child genius on your hands? Here are some of the early signs of a gifted preschooler, from the American Association of Gifted Children at Duke University:
• Learns quickly and remembers easily
• Seems mature for his or her age
• Has a large vocabulary, displays an unusual interest in words, or already reads independently
• Experiments to solve problems
• Prefers older playmates
• Seems sensitive
• Exhibits intellectual curiosity
• Shows compassion for people or animals
• Enjoys puzzles, mazes, and numbers
• Questions authority
• Seems to get bored easily
• Has a high energy level
Sounds like my kids! Not really, but the experts say if your child has several of these characteristics, consider having him/her assessed by a child development expert.