Contact Us

First Confirmed Case of West Nile Virus of 2012 Appears in St. Louis County

Justin Sullivan, Getty Images

After an incredibly wet spring and subsequent heat wave, conditions are ripe for a bumper mosquito crop in 2012. This has health officials worried that there will be an uptick in mosquito-transmitted diseases like West Nile Virus. The first case of this virus has just popped up in St. Louis County, beginning what could be a busy season.

While the individual diagnosed with West Nile is from St. Louis County; Dave Neitzel from the Minnesota Department of Health does point out the diagnosed man may have contracted the virus on a trip to Southern Minnesota, where the virus is more prevalent.

Neitzel explains that Western Minnesota is the most active location for the mosquitoes that carry the disease, but it is possible to contract West Nile anywhere in Minnesota. He goes on to say the highest-risk part of the season falls between mid-summer and early fall.

Since 2002, 465 cases of West Nile have been diagnosed in Minnesota. 80% of those infected are able to fight off the virus, while the remaining 20% of those infected experience more prevalent symptoms of the disease. Medical help can help in fighting the potentially deadly disease that can cause severe symptoms in 1 in 150 of those infected.

 

[WCCO]

 

More from MIX 108

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://mix108.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on TODAY'S BEST MIX quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on TODAY'S BEST MIX quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!