Life’s 50 Greatest Pleasures Revealed
A study of 3,000 adults revealed simple pleasures such as getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets and seeing an old couple holding hands also help to brighten our day. Sunshine was found to be largely responsible for our good mood – such as waking up to a sunny day, sitting in the sun and driving with the car windows down on a sunny day all appearing in the top 20.
A spokesman for Three Barrels Brandy, who conducted the research of the top 50 things which make people happy, said: “It would seem that despite not feeling entirely happy for three out of seven days of the week, it doesn’t take much to lift our spirits. “We can be having a terrible day at work, snowed under a pile of work, when a quick thank you from the boss can pick us up and make us feel great.”
TOP 50 THINGS WHICH MAKE US HAPPY
1. Finding a ten dollar bill in an old pair of jeans.
2. Going on vacation.
3. Getting into bed with freshly washed sheets.
4. Swimming in the sea.
5. Waking up on a sunny day.
6. Sitting in the sun.
7. Being surprised with flowers or chocolates.
8. Getting a nice message from a loved one.
10. Getting a thank you card in the mail.
11. Old people holding hands.
12. Driving a car with the window down on a sunny day.
13. Winning money in the lottery.
14. Booking a new vacation.
15. Listening to your favorite song.
16. Finding a bargain in the sales.
17. Seeing an old friend.
18. Picnic in the park on a sunny day.
19. Getting a promotion at work.
20. Being treated to a romantic night out.
21. Hearing a song that reminds you of your past.
22. Looking back at old photographs.
23. Making a new friend.
24. Getting a quiet moment to myself.
25. Walks in the country.
26. Hearing a baby laugh.
27. Having a girls/guys night out.
28. Waking on up on a Saturday morning and realizing it’s the weekend.
30. Eating a cake.
31. Fitting into an old pair of jeans you thought were too small.
32. Getting praise from your boss after working hard on something.
33. The smell of freshly baked bread or cookies.
34. A warm bubble bath at the end of a stressful day.
35. Someone telling you you’ve lost weight.
36. Finding out someone likes you.
37. Sunday dinners.
38. The Smell of cut grass.
39. Landing at the airport.
40. A good hair day.
41. Bank holidays.
42. Passing a driving test.
43. Swanky hotel rooms.
44. Finding out your children have done well at school.
45. Someone offering an elderly person their seat on the bus or train.
46. Someone giving you their car parking ticket when you arrive in the parking lot.
47. Waking up to find out it has snowed overnight.
48. Drinking a cold beer after work.
49. Eating comfort food.
I can’t help but think this list is missing a few key “Great Pleasures.” What about that “baby smell?” No–not dirty diapers. Moms and Dads know what I mean. Babies have a great smell.
Or what about the BIG one? You know…the one that precedes having that baby that you can smell?
What else is missing from this list?