Superior’s Tower Avenue Construction Update
Road construction is still going on strong in Superior, especially North Tower Avenue. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has released updated information on the progress of the construction.
Work completed since last update:
- The contractor installed the water main laterals to the east and west along Winter Street.
- Storm sewer has been completed at 4th, 6th, and 8th Streets.
- Sanitary sewer has not progressed past Broadway Street as the contractor switched the sanitary sewer crew to focus on storm sewer north of the railroad tracks.
- The electrical contractors installed all type 1 bases at Hammond Avenue and traffic signal loop detectors.
- Sub cutting and installing sub-base material has been completed from 4th to 5th Street and the concrete for the landscape planters have been installed at 4th Street.
- Tower Avenue is closed from Belknap Street to 3rd Street during construction operations.
- 3rd Street to Hughitt Avenue will be reduced to a single lane in each direction during
- construction operations.
- All intersections that are open to cross street access will be closed to construction except: either Winter Street or Broadway Street will remain open to cross traffic at all times and no two adjacent side streets will be closed at one time between 8th Street to 4th Street.
- Alley access will be maintained at all times during construction.
- A detour route has been set up on US 53 and US 2 (Belknap Street) to reroute WIS 35 (Tower Avenue) traffic.
- Hammond Avenue will have shoulder closures, single lane closures and sidewalk closures during installation of the traffic signals and safety island construction. These impacts are anticipated to be minor and short in duration.
Anticipated work schedule for the week of June 17, 2013:
- The contractor is going to continue with sub cutting the roadway from 5th to 8th Streets and installing sub-base material.
- The storm sewer crew is anticipating install storm sewer at 5th and 7th street intersections.
- The water main crew is going to switch to installing water and sewer services between 6th and 8th Streets.
- The electrical contractor and irrigation contractor is planning on installing conduit crossings for the lights on Tower Avenue between 4th and 6th Streets.