Warning: Space Heaters Though Convenient Can Cause a Fire in a Hurry When Not Used Properly
Heating your home or apartment can become very expensive in the winter months, so sometimes space heaters are the only option, but they can also be a very dangerous fire hazard.
Millions of people across the country use space heaters, but according to the National Fire protection Association they are also now the leading cause of house fires across the country. It is such a tragedy for people losing their homes and sometimes their lives because of these devices.
According to a story at Today.com they spoke with Jamie Novak an investigator for the St. Paul Fire Department and he warns that space heaters are small in size, but they draw a lot of electricity. So, you absolute must is to make sure they are plugged into a wall instead of a cheap extension cord that can't handle the power.
The other rule of thumb is always keep space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that could catch on fire and never place anything on top of it. Common sense would also dictate don't ever have a space heater on in a room that is unoccupied. A fire can spread within seconds, make sure you have working smoke detectors and a plan to get out of the house. Learn how to set up an escape route here!
My father was an Insurance man and instilled the danger of fire in us very early, and to this day my family knows how vigilant I am about preventing a fire in our home. Of course accidents happen, but it is always better to be as prepared and safe as possible.