First Of 3 Minnesota I-35W Northbound Weekend Closures Begins May 19
Road construction projects across Minnesota and the Minnesota Department of Transportation announced a series of weekend closures that will impact northbound travel on a portion of I-35W.
Of course, with these closures taking place during the weekend, their impact will be felt by both residents of the areas of impact as well as visitors or those just passing through.
MnDOT announced that starting Friday, May 19, they will begin the first of three-weekend closures of northbound I-35W between I-35E in Burnsville and I-494 in Bloomington to allow crews to begin resurfacing the roadway and make other improvements.
Beginning 10 p.m. Friday, May 19 through 5 a.m. Monday, May 22 northbound I-35W will be closed. All northbound ramps between I-35E and 82nd St. and the southbound I-35W E-ZPass lane between 82nd St. and 94th St. will also be closed during this time.
Motorists will be detoured to I-35E to Highway 77 to I-494. Local access to northbound I-35W will remain open at 82nd Street via Lyndale Avenue.
After the weekend closure, the following ramps and lanes will remain closed:
Sunday, May 21 through Saturday, May 27:
- The right acceleration/deceleration lane is closed on northbound I-35W between 94th Street and 90th Street.
- The ramp from 94th Street to northbound I-35W is closed. There will be a local detour from Lyndale Avenue to 90th Street. The region detour is I-35E to Highway 77 to I-494
- The ramp from northbound I-35W to 90th Street is closed. The local detour is from 94th Street to Lyndale Ave. The regional detour is I-35E to Highway 77 to I-494
- The right acceleration/deceleration lane is closed on northbound I-35W between 106th Street and 98th Street. The detour is from I-35E to Highway 77 to I-494
- The ramp from 106th Street to northbound I-35W is closed. The detour is from Lyndale Avenue to 98th Street
- The ramp from northbound I-35W to 98th Street is closed. The detour is from 106th Street to Lyndale Avenue
Following the initial closure, motorists can expect two additional weekend closures later this spring/summer on northbound I-35W.
MnDOT reminds all motorists to plan ahead and allow extra time to reach their destination. They also urge motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution, and slow down in work zones where workers are present.
They add that all construction activities and traffic impacts are weather and schedule-permitting and subject to change.