A Family Is Suing The Minnesota State Fair Because Son Became Sick After Touching Animals
A recent law suit that was filed claims a four year old boy was infected with e-coli from touching livestock at the Minnesota State Fair and became so severely ill he had to be hospitalized and has suffered permanent kidney damage.
According to The Duluth News Tribune "The Minnesota Department of Health announced in September they were investigating 11 cases of E. coli infections of people and they determined the outbreak was associated with visiting the Miracle of Birth Center, said Joni Scheftel, Minnesota public health veterinarian. Seven of the people sickened were hospitalized."
On August 29 of this year Christina Vonderhaar brought her four year old son to the State Fair and at one point the boy pet several livestock in the Miracle of Birth Center. The boy became sick on August 31 and was taken to The Emergency Room on September 3 where he was then transferred to Children's Hospital in Minneapolis where he remained until September 13.
He was diagnosed with E. coli O157:H7 and hemolytic uremic syndrome, a complication of the infection. According to the lawsuit " He experienced permanent physical damage to his kidneys and other bodily organs."
A spokesperson for the State Fair said they are not able to comment on the case. Vonderhaar is seeking over $50,000 in damages for her sons hospital and medical expenses, lost wages and future medical expenses for her son. For more on this story click here.