Duluth Shatters 147-Year-Old Record For High Temperature
As our El Niño continues throughout the Northland, with a complete lack of snow and unseasonably warm temperatures, nothing weather-related should really come as a surprise at this point.
We've already seen several winter-related things get canceled, including the Minnesota Ice Castles which only lasted a little over a week. However, as February approached there was always the chance that cooler temps and more snow would finally return. So, far that isn't the case, it's already been a record-setter for warmth.
On Monday, February 5, the National Weather Service first posted on its Facebook page that a 147-year-old record had been broken. At 10:55 a.m., the temperature at the Duluth International Airport hit 46 degrees, surpassing the previous high-temperature record of 45 degrees that was set in 1877.
They later added that the temperature ultimately hit 50 degrees in Duluth, so that is officially the new record to beat. One wonders if that record lasts another 147 years.
I normally run on a treadmill in the winter, but as soon as I stepped outside Monday, I knew this was a very unique February day in the Northland and I took advantage by skipping the treadmill and hitting the road. It was really enjoyable to be out there in weather that felt more like April, but I also know a lot of people itching to snowmobile and do other things that are popular each winter.
Unfortunately, the NWS also noted on Monday that those hoping for more winter-like conditions would have to continue to wait. Tuesday is expected to be another warm day, especially for areas that see partly to mostly sunny skies.
Chief Meteorologist Justin Liles, with our media partners at WDIO-TV, says that our April-like weather will start the week, but a cold front is expected to bring temps down slightly by the end of the week.
Here is Justin's extended forecast:
- WEDNESDAY: Cloudy, with a high near 42. Breezy, with an east wind of 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- THURSDAY: Rain. High near 43. Breezy, with a southeast wind of around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph
- FRIDAY: Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a west wind of 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- SATURDAY: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Breezy, with a northwest wind of 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- SUNDAY: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Northwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
- MONDAY: A slight chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 33. West wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
The Definitive List of The Oddest, Strangest and Downright Filthy Town Names In Every State
Gallery Credit: Rob Carroll
From coast to coast: The 20 best regional fast-food chains to try
Gallery Credit: Kiersten Hickman