7 Tips to Pick Out The Best Pumpkin
As a kid I loved going to the pumpkin patch with my family and get my very own pumpkin to carve for Halloween. Like a typical kid I would always go for the biggest one and my dad or brothers would end up carrying it for me. But, don't be deceived by a pumpkins size, their are actually quite a few factors in getting the right gourd.
- Choose a pumpkin that feels firm and is heavy for it's size.
- Choose a pumpkin that maintains it's color throughout.
- Flip the pumpkin over and push on the bottom with your thumb, if it is soft or gives way it's not fresh.
- Look for soft spots, mold, cuts or dents that may indicate it has been damaged.
- Pull on the stem and make sure it is solid.
- A green stem means the pumpkin is freshly harvested.
- Place your pumpkin on a flat surface to make sure it will be easy to carve.
For baking ideas or tips on how to dispose of your pumpkins CLICK HERE