Traffic + Parking Advisories Issued For Duluth’s Christmas City Of The North Parade
The annual Duluth tradition that ushers in the holiday season is back again! The Christmas City of the North Parade is set for Friday, November 17 in Downtown Duluth.
The parade starts at 6:30 p.m. in front of Fitger’s at 6th Avenue East and Superior Street and will continue along Superior Street to 4th Avenue West. Obviously, with a parade of magnitude comes thousands of people and a lot of related traffic and parking advisories to be aware of.
The Duluth Police Department issued official advisories this week so that people in the area could most efficiently navigate their way around the area Friday afternoon and evening.
First, it's important to note where parade participants will be. Parade units will begin lining up at 4 p.m. on London Road between 10th and 14th Avenues East, and buses will be staging on the upper side of London Road from 14th to 17th Avenues East.
Marching bands and dance groups will exit the parade route at 4th Avenue West to buses waiting on Michigan Street. Floats will be dismantled in the 400 block of West Superior Street and exit the area at 5th Avenue West.
As for road closures, Duluth Police say that motorists can expect the following impacts:
- At 4 p.m., London Road will close to traffic from 10th to 14th Avenues East for the parade line-up. Sections of 12th and 13th Avenues East and the 1300 block of Jefferson Street will also close for the parade line-up.
- Superior Street from 8th Avenue East to 12th Avenue East will be closed to traffic at 5:30 p.m., and Superior Street from 8th Avenue East to 5th Avenue West will close at 5:45 p.m.
- Michigan Street will close at 6:15 p.m. to all traffic except for buses and residents. Vehicles exiting Michigan Street lots and ramps during the closures will be directed to exit the area by driving south to the 5th Avenue West Off-Ramp.
Vehicles will not be allowed to enter the Fitger’s Ramp and Pickwick parking lots after Superior Street closes at 5:45 p.m.
- Vehicles will be allowed to exit these lots until 6:30 p.m. After 6:30 p.m., vehicles parked in the Fitger’s Ramp and Pickwick lots will not be allowed to exit until the Parade ends.
Motorists can expect to encounter detours along Superior Street and London Road. Duluth Police anticipate downtown traffic will return to normal by approximately 8:30 p.m.
If you're attending the parade, you'll be happy to know that free parade parking is being offered again this year. Free parking will be available after 5:00 p.m. at the following ramps/lots:
- Fourth Avenue Auto Park - 402 West Michigan Street
- Duluth Transportation Center - 228 West Michigan Street
- Civic Center Ramp - 410 West First Street
- Tech Village Ramp - 10 East First Street
- HART Ramp - 122 East Superior Street
- Medical District Ramp - 302 East First Street
- Fitger’s - 600 East Superior Street
- Phoenix Parking Lot - 98 North 4th Avenue West
- St. Luke's Lakeview Ramp - 1001 East Superior Street
- St. Luke’s Employee Parking Lot - 119 North 12th Avenue East
- St. Luke’s Building A Patient Lot - 1015 East First Street
- First & First Parking Lot - First Avenue East and First Street
Duluth Police note that entrance to the Michigan Street ramps will be limited after 6:15 p.m., but vehicles can exit them throughout the parade. Downtown parking meters will be free after 5:30 p.m., but there is no parking along the parade route on Superior Street.
You can see the full, detailed traffic advisory through the button above. All drivers are reminded to remain alert to pedestrian and parade traffic, be aware of no parking signs, and use caution when driving in the area of this event.
LOOK: 25 over-the-top Christmas displays from across America
Gallery Credit: Annalise Mantz & Madison Troyer