Jeanne Ryan Reviews Weezer’s New Release of Covers Called ‘The Teal Album’
Apparently with the success of their remake of the song 'Africa' the guys from Weezer decided to make a whole cover album based on popular songs. I am under the belief that you will know if you like a song within the first minute or so, but understandably some songs don't jive with you right away and take a second or third listening too.
Spotify put together a sample of the songs on the album and so to be fair I did listen to the full versions of the songs to give them each a fair shake. I pretty much had the exact same opinion of them as I did when I listened to the sample.
I give 6 out of 10 songs a thumbs up which just so happen to be the first 6 songs on the album . Weezer has a very unique pop rock sound that fits so well with these songs even though three of them were sung by a duet backed by a band. Here is my breakdown.
- Africa-(Toto) * Awesome job, kept the original vibe of the song when it came out and were able to maintain the soft vocals which captivated listeners with the original.
- Everybody Want's to Rule the World* (Tears For Fears)- I love Tears For Fears so the fact that I like this version is saying a lot, even though the lead singer of Weezer sings the song in a much higher pitch.
- Sweet Dreams are Made of This * (Eurythmics)- Pretty brave move on Weezers part to try and duplicate this pretty iconic song. I love that they had the guts to do it and pulled it off.
- Take on Me (A-Ha) * This is one of those one hit wonder songs that stays with you through the decades. Bubble gum Top 40 and I love it.
- Happy Together (The Turtles)* I am not a huge fan of the song of the original song but both are palatable.
- Paranoid ( Black Sabbath) * Ozzy Osbourne would be proud, he loves remakes of his songs and for that it is a thumbs up for me too.
- Mr. Blue Sky (Electric Light Orchestra)- I don't like this song no matter who is singing it.
- No Scrubs(TLC) - I can't even give them credit for trying to sing this song because this version is so bad, but to be nice the girls from TLC are hard to imitate.
- Billie Jean (Michael Jackson) - Nope! Leave it alone nobody can sing a M.J .song period.
- Stand By Me- (Ben E King) I am not a huge fan of the song to begin with, but I do appreciate the fact that it is a classic, and they did an average job on the remake.