Remembering When A Minnesota Map Was In This Popular Video Game
I grew up playing video games and absolutely love it when I get to see a pixelated version of Minnesota.
One of my favorites was when someone created a 'Left 4 Duluth' version of the popular zombie apocalypse first person shooter game 'Left 4 Dead'. You can check out that video here.
A couple of months ago I discovered that someone created a Downtown Duluth map in the popular video game 'Minecraft'. You check out the epic map here.
Picture it: the year is 1999, your mom just made pizza rolls and you open your 'Kiwiberry Fruitopia' to take a drink. You fire up the Playstation with your best bud to see who will beat your high score on 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater'.
I feel like it was a much simpler time back then. When I saw what the monthly free games were for Playstation Plus for August, I got sent right back to my childhood. The games are 'Yakuza: Like A Dragon', 'Little Nightmares', and one of my favorites; 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2'.
'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2' combines a remastered version of the classic games from 1999 and 2000. Back in the late '90s, the graphics seemed great for its time and now they're even better. The game includes better graphics, the iconic diverse roster, that loveable nostalgic soundtrack, and of course the great gameplay that brings you right back to your childhood. The game even sold over one million copies within the first two weeks.
Right when I saw it, I knew I had to download it right away. After spending some time playing and smiling the entire time, I got reminded of the Downtown Minneapolis map from the first game.
Each map has goals and challenges and the ones in Minneapolis are pretty fun to complete:
- High Score - 25,000: Pretty easy and simple, show off your best moves during the two minutes and get the goal.
- Pro Score - 90,000: A little harder, just put in some more effort after getting the high score to claim this goal.
- Sick Score - 175,000: This is the one where you have to believe in yourself. Give it everything you got and make sure to hit a bunch of combinations to rack up the highest score you can.
- High Combo - 18,000: Perform a single combo to get this score. I recommend a combo of grinds and manuals.
- Collect S-K-A-T-E: Skate around the map and collect the floating orange letters. You need to get them all in a single run.
- Collect 5 Popcorn Buckets: Similar to S-K-A-T-E, but you'll have to collect glowing floating popcorn buckets.
- Break 5 ‘No Skating’ Signs: You’ll see 5 of these signs scattered around the area, so just destroy them all in a single run.
- Ollie the Parked Cars: Find three parked cars and perform an ollie over them..
- Complete the Rooftop Gaps: This one can be a little difficult to get, but I know you can do it.
- Get the secret tape: Find the VHS tape hidden somewhere in the level. Hint, it may be up high and you may be able to see it when you find yourself on the rooftop.
It was so much fun reliving my childhood and skating through a pixelated Minneapolis map. If you have a Playstation Plus account, it is still free to grab. Check out the map below, but be aware it does give you the location of every goal (spoiler alert):