Superior Exploring Municipal Broadband Option for Residents
The City of Superior is exploring cheaper, better internet access for its residents.
The city launched a new website to explain the plan and to gather some data. ConnectSuperior.com is the place to go for the latest information and to take a short survey.
Mayor Jim Paine laid out his 5 goals for the project:
- Lower the cost of internet access by 30% for residents and businesses.
- Significantly increase the speed and reliability of internet access.
- Increase competition and give residents multiple options for ISPs on-demand in real-time.
- Build a state-of-the-art network that will improve economic development and foster innovation.
- Leverage the network to improve the services provided in the city including public safety, transportation, healthcare, education, emergency communications, and new services that will become possible with advanced network infrastructure.
The website also has some more information on why fiber connections matter and what type of speeds residents can expect with the new option.