Firefighters Are Warning People Not to Leave Water Bottles in Your Car [VIDEO]
According to Delish.com a Battery Technician with the Idaho Power Company got the surprise of his life on a hot summer day last August when he noticed smoke coming from the middle console of hs truck. He looked over and noticed a bottle of water reflecting in the sun and was burning a hole in his seat.
Firefighters are now warning residents how dangerous this common practice can be. In a test conducted in Oklahoma's Midwest City Fire Department findings showed that the temperature in a water bottle magnified in the sun can reach up to 250 degrees.
David Richardson who is a member of the Midwest City Fire Department explained to news station KFOR that "The sunlight will come through, when it's filled with liquid, and act as a magnifying glass as you would with regular optics."
This extra heat inside your vehicle can focus on seats, floor mats or other materials and set them on fire. There recommendation is to not leave any water bottles in your car at all. Even though we live in an area where we have all 4 seasons the sun can get pretty intense in the summer. This is definitely something to think about next time you decide to leave a water bottle in your car, it is rare that this would happen but obviously it can.