So long Fall, it was nice knowing you for a hot minute. The temperatures have dipped, and now we have snow on the ground on top of the pandemic. This is leading to a surge in numbers more than ever, forcing us to hunker down at home with family. So here is the question: Is your house protected from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning?

Deputy Fire Marshal Jon Otis from the Duluth Fire Department wants to get the word out that this this year more than ever it is so important for you to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home. He spoke to WDIO, saying:

Carbon monoxide causes flu-like symptoms. So if you're having a headache or you're feeling sick to your stomach ... those could all be indicators of carbon monoxide poisoning. It also could be symptoms of flu or even we're now experiencing COVID stuff. So by having a CO detector working in your home, that eliminates one of those possible potential hazards.

With many different types of heat sources available in a home, carbon monoxide can overtake the home without some residents even knowing it. If you have a wood burning stove, creosote residue can build up in the pipes/chimney, causing a backup. If you have natural gas or an oil burning furnace the carbon monoxide often comes from a leak.

MIX 108 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Carbon monoxide is odorless which makes it so incredibly deadly. Every year you hear a story or stories of someone passing away from CO poisoning when it could have easily been prevented. Just like smoke detectors, you should replace your batteries in your CO detector every 6 months, when we fall back and spring ahead with Daylight Saving Time beginning and ending.

When I had my house, I had one in the basement by the furnace and one upstairs near one of the heat vents. Every house is different, and you'll want to check with an expert on where you should have detectors placed. Let's have this cold weather season be safe for everyone!

How To Prep For Winter During The Summer

More From MIX 108