Find Out What Roads Will be Closed for the 2012 North Shore Inline Marathon [INTERACTIVE MAP]
In preparation for one of the biggest inline marathon events in the country, area officials are cautioning motorists of road closures that may hamper driving Friday evening and Saturday. Get the full rundown on road limitations and see the interactive map.
The event, which includes inline skaters, roller skiers, and runners, will close the entire route to motorists until its conclusion. Parking along the route will also be prohibited during the event. While many roads in and around Duluth will be impacted by the event, routes to downtown and Canal Park will not be closed.
Canal Park, Park Point, the Great Lakes Aquarium, and the DECC will be accessible using Lake Avenue to Railroad Street, and also down 5th Avenue West to Railroad Street.
Friday September 14, starting at 4 pm :
- Harbor Drive will be closed from Railroad street, down behind the DECC to below the Great Lakes Aquarium for the Kids Inline Sprint Races. This route will reopen around 8:30 pm.
Saturday September 15, starting at 5:30 am :
- Scenic Highway 61 will be closed from the Highway 61 Expressway intersection to Two Harbors for Race setup.
Saturday September 15, starting at 6:45 am :
Scenic Highway 61 will be closed from the Highway 61 Expressway intersection to Two Harbors for Race setup.
- All southbound traffic on the Highway 61 Expressway will be diverted on to Superior Street on the North end of town.
- London Road will be closed from 60th Avenue East to 26th Avenue East
- I-35 will be closed from 26th Avenue East to 5th Avenue West. Southbound entrance ramps onto I-35 will be closed at 26th Avenue East and 21st Avenue East. Northbound entrance ramps onto I-35 will be closed at Mesaba Avenue, 5th Avenue West Viaduct, Lake Avenue, and 2nd Avenue East.
- I-35 Southbound will be accessible at Lake Avenue, 5th Avenue West, and Mesaba Avenue Ramps.
- The DECC parking lot will remain open with access and exit from Railroad Street only.
- The Great Lakes Aquarium will be accessible from Railroad Street and 5th Avenue West.
- Canal Park will be accessible via Lake Avenue.
- The 5th Avenue West overpass will be limited to one lane in the direction from downtown toward the aquarium. Exit is done the Connector to Railroad Street.
- East Superior Street will remain open all the way to the Highway 61 Expressway, but traffic may be heavy, and motorists should expect delays.
- Motorists should also expect delays in the areas of Lake Avenue, Railroad Street, and 5th Avenue West.
People driving in the area of the event should use caution and watch for heavy pedestrian traffic, closed roads, and Police Officers directing traffic.
Interactive Road Closure Map
Key: Red - Race Route/Closed Roads, Green - Alternate Route, Yellow - Reduced Lanes, Black - Closed Ramps
View North Shore Inline Marathon Road Closures in a larger map