Duluth / Superior Free Activities For Kids This Summer
Parents! Do you really want to hear "I'm so bored" from your kids for the next three months? Summer is fast approaching and if you have kids who will be out of school chances are you're already thinking of ways to keep them busy and away from technology. Maybe not COMPLETELY away, but if you have kids like mine, they'd spend every minute in front of the TV/XBox/Computer if you'd let them.
I found a few cool things for kids to check out this summer that are all FREE!!
Summer Playground Program
The Summer Playground Program provides safe, structured activities for children who have completed four-year-old kindergarten through fifth grade. Sites are monitored by competent employees who have been oriented in first aid and the handling of blood-borne pathogens. Activities include arts and crafts, games, field trips, and swimming at the YMCA.
Runs mid June through the first week of August
Open Monday-Friday from 11:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., weather permitting
Registration is on site through the full eight weeks of programming
Bathroom facilities and drinking water available.
No charge for program, although some field trips may have a minimal fee
- Bartley Manor/Woodland Way: 3920 Tower Ave.
- Billings Park: 1807 Missouri Avenue (Cooper School – west side) 18th & Oakes 1725 Oakes Avenue
- Gouge Park: 315 - 13th Avenue East
- Hammond Park: 1920 Hammond Avenue
- Wade Bowl: 1228 Clough Avenue
- Webster Park: 5718 Tower Avenue
Superior Skate Park
- Located at Heritage Park, 2828 Hammond Avenue
- Open until 10:00 p.m. daily (the timer on the gate closes at 10 p.m. and the motion lights are activated)
- Variety of ramps, pipes, rails, and boxes
- For skateboarders, in-line skaters, and BMX and trick bikes
See how many of Duluth's Playgrounds you can hit this summer. And they're all FREE!
South 5th Ave W. and Railroad St.
Beverly St. and 84th Ave. W.
6th St. and 1st Ave. W.
Lake Ave. and 4th St.
1800 E. Skyline Parkway
33 W. Mulberry St.
1602 E. 2nd St.
72nd Ave. W. and Grand
Fond du Lac
131st Ave. W. and 5th St.
12th St. and Minnesota Ave.
901 E. 11th St.
Pitt St. and 49th Ave. E.
3000 W. 3rd St.
Hillside Sport Center
408 E. 8th St.
20 S. 57th Ave. W
Bristol St. and 63rd Ave. W.
3026 Minnesota Ave.
61st Ave. E. and Superior St.
315 E. 5th St.
25th Ave. W. and 5th St.
5315 Grand Ave.
4017 W. 7th St.
1242 88th Ave. W.
Coleman and 81st Ave. W.
914 W. 3rd St.
45th St. and Minnesota Ave.
2302 W. 23rd St.
4th St. and 10th Ave. E.
4601 McCulloch St.
55 Cato St.
Superior St. and 43rd Ave. E.
35th Ave. W. and Grand Ave.
3211 Allendale Ave.
Duluth and Superior:
Wednesday Night at the Races!
Grandma's Marathon and the YAF (Young Athlete's Foundation) has FREE races for kids Wednesday nights from July 25th-August 29th at various locations:
- Wednesday, July 25 – Bayfront Festival Park
- Wednesday, Aug. 1 - Public Schools Stadium
- Wednesday, Aug. 8 - UMD – Griggs Field
- Wednesday, Aug. 15 – Hermantown High School Track
- Wednesday, Aug. 22 – Central Park – Superior
- Wednesday, Aug. 29 - Park Point (followed by year-end picnic)
Registration is from 5:00 p.m. to 5:50 p.m. each evening of the series.
The youth races will start promptly at 6:00 p.m. beginning with the Courage Duluth wheelchair division (when offered) followed by the youngest age group and ending with the oldest children.
Children will be split up into groups according to their age. Age groups and distances are as follows:
Courage Duluth wheelchair division – 1/8 mile
4 & under – 1/8 mile
5 & 6 years old – 1/8 mile
7 & 8 years old – 1/4 mile
9 & 10 years old – 1/4 mile
11 & 12 years old – 1/2 mile
13 & 14 years old – 1/2 mile
Prizes: Everyone’s a champion at this event! Each week every child will receive a ribbon upon completing their race.
Check out the story for our reviews and videos on the best playgrounds in the Duluth/Superior area.