The City Of Duluth Is Asking For Ideas Regarding A Work Program Geared Towards Teens and Young Adults
With the school year cut short many teens and young adults are in search of something to do, and the city of Duluth wants to help. The city is bringing back their Youth Employment Services or (YES) Program. This program is an opportunity for people ages 16-24 to get some work experience and do community service while being paid. YES funds the program, and whoever is hosting them does the supervision.
According to their Web Page here is what the program is all about:
Education and Training
- Support and incentives to connect with and complete High School Diploma and GED programs
- Post-secondary training exploration, support and tuition assistance
- Financial literacy education
- Leadership development
- Career pathway and labor market exploration
- One-on-one career exploration assessments and guidance
- Paid Work Experience opportunities
- Job shadowing
- Resume writing and interview preparation
- Supportive mentoring
- Referrals to community resources
- Assistance with transportation and work related expenses
The Director of Workforce Development Elena Foshay said that they are in need of ideas and spoke with WDIO : "It's really a wide variety. It could be simply working at a business as sort of like an employee or it could be more of a community service project or it could be supporting community needs through a nonprofit. We're really open to a wide variety of ideas."
What a fantastic program available to the youth of our city. This could really help a teen or young adult get a leg up not only a career, but help them in other aspects of their life as well. People need to be aware that this program exists, to help out the youth of our community and their families as well. According to WDIO "There is a virtual meeting from 12:30-2 p.m. on Monday, June 8. There will be a link on the Live Meetings page of the City of Duluth website. "
10 Places In The Twin Ports Everyone Is Looking Forward To Going To When COVID-19 Passes