Recent Fatal Fires in the Area Show Just how Crucial Smoke Detectors are in Your Home
The latest victim of a house fire Tuesday February 14th in Lakeside was most likely trying to get out as he was found near an interior door. He did not have any smoke detectors in his home.
According to the Duluth News Tribune Fire Marshal Marnie Grondahl said the fire appears to have started in the bedroom of the home and is being ruled as accidental from either a space heater or from smoking.
Grondahl went on to explain that under normal circumstances smoke detectors can give residents an initial warning to alert them to get out of the home, but as plastics and items in the home start to burn they add toxic gases into the air making air quality even that much worse. And once a fire starts flames can double in size every 30 seconds.
Right now Minnesota and Wisconsin residents can apply to have FREE Smoke Detectors installed in your home courtesy of the Red Cross. Click Here for more information!