Minnesota Rolls Out COVID-Vaccine Incentives For Kids 5-11
The program worked so well for older kids that now they're focusing on younger children. The State of Minnesota has rolled out their rebooted Kids Deserve A Shot incentive program - this time aimed at kids 5 to eleven years of age.
The program is designed to encourage Minnesota families that have younger children to make sure that everyone is fully-vaccinated against COVID-19.
Officials point out that Minnesota leads the country in vaccination numbers for that age group, the 5 to eleven demographic remains the "lowest rate of vaccination among eligible age groups in the state". This incentive program aims to change that.
Under terms of the plan, Minnesota families that get their child 5-11 years old full-vaccinated in January and February can get a $200 VISA gift card. The registration process can begin once the two-dose series has been completed. In other words, you need to get your child age 5-11 their first and their second dose between January 1, 2022 and February 28, 2022.
Here are the important dates to remember:
- January 24, 2022 - 10:00 AM: Registration opens
- February 28, 2022 - 11:59 PM: Registration closes
A link to submit your registration information will be forthcoming from the State of Minnesota.
While the incentive program is open to all families in Minnesota, there are some important eligibility requirements.
- Must be at least 5 years old at the time of one or both shots
- Must be 11 or younger at the time of their first shot
- Minnesotan's age 5-11 must receive both their first and their second doses between January 1, 2022 and February 28, 2022
- Minnesota families are able to receive one $200 VISA gift card per eligible child, age 5 to 11
When the state released details of the vaccine plan, they also gave a "sneak peek" at a Minnesota College Scholarship Drawing incentive that will get rolled out at a later date this spring. The initial terms of that incentive detail that all Minnesotan's 5 to 11 years old who complete their first and second doses at any point in time will be eligible to be entered for a chance to win a $100,000 college scholarship.