Mix 108 Miracles Prepare for the 2012 Polar Bear Plunge!
First of all, a HUGE thank you to JENNA R., our very first committed plunger on our "Mix 108 Miracles" team! Welcome Jenna, and I can't wait to jump with you!
You may have heard about it on Mix 108, on the news, read about it online, or maybe even seen a video on YouTube, but what exactly is this "Plunge" that everyone's talking about?
The Polar Bear Plunge — presented by Minnesota law enforcement is a unique opportunity for individuals, organizations and businesses to support Special Olympics athletes by jumping into frigid Minnesota waters. It consists of 15 different events that take place across Minnesota during the coldest months of the year. From January through March, our Plunge crew will be traveling around the state to 15 different communities with one goal in mind: raise funds for Special Olympics Minnesota!
Here are some Polar Bear Plunge Facts:
- 2012 will be the 15th year of the Polar Bear Plunge in Minnesota. The first one took place at Como Lake in 1998; its 65 participants raised $20,000.
- In 2005, 100 Plungers raised $275,000 at five Plunge locations. By 2008, Minnesota had 11 Plunges, featured 2,500 participants, and raised $725,000. Just two years after that, in 2010, the Polar Bear Plunge took place in 13 different locations, included over 7,000 participants, and raised $1.4 million.
- In 2011, we continued to increase the already incredible Plunge numbers with over 11,000 participants raising over $2.2 million for Special Olympics Minnesota. 2012 will see the addition of another Plunge site, totaling 15 locations throughout Minnesota.
- Although participants are only required to raise $75 per person to participate, the average Plunger raised $192 in 2011!
- The average donation made online is $34.
If you'd like to join our team, REGISTER HERE. Not just anyone can say they jumped into Lake Superior in the dead of winter, right?
If you don't want to jump, but would like to make a donation to our team, DONATE HERE. Every little bit counts, and goes to support a wonderful cause, Special Olympics of Minnesota.
Whether or not you donate or jump with us, we'd love to see you on February 18th!